When it comes to consuming edible flowers, wild plants and weeds, the culinary history of India is indeed very fascinating. Not only have beautiful blooms been used for therapeutic purposes, but they have also been a part and parcel of Indian cooking for fragrance, flavour, taste augmentation and much more. Purslane is a lesser-known edible flower that has lately been listed as a superfood. Its scientific name, Portulaca Oleracea, literally means herbal purslane and describes the plant’s edible and medicinal properties. Also called pigweed, little hogweed, fat weed, and purslane, its luscious leaves and colorful blooms reveal a charming fragrant flower, which is usually red or pink. An edible weed with a rich nutritional profile, the leaves, and flowers of purslane are eaten raw, steamed, or even fried across the globe.
Purslane’s medicinal uses date back to ancient Roman times and traditional medicine, where it was referred to as a healthy wild weed for long life.
Since times immemorial, It has been used for a variety of ailments, including headaches, and gastrointestinal disorders.
Also read: Hibiscus: Stunning Beauty Benefits Of The Vibrant Red Flower You Should Know
(Shop from our range of herbal essential oils)
Here are some fabulous health advantages of this super food plant you had no idea about:
- It has seven times more beta-carotene equal to one portion of carrot serving
- It consists of six times more Vitamin E than spinach. When spinach is not available, this can be an ideal substitute for deriving many health benefits out if it
- Significant amounts of Vitamins A and C, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium and antioxidants make it ideal for salads and dressings
- Purslane is one of the highest-rich oxalate foods that can reduce the formation of kidney stones
- Due to its omega-3 fatty acids and beta carotene-rich content, purslane is often added to soups for augmenting taste and health benefits. It has as much as fourteen times more Omega 3 fatty acids than most of its counterparts
- Purslane is very low in calories and fat, yet it covers a wide range of micro-nutrients. Thus, it is loved by diet-conscious people
- Minerals are also essential for health. Purslane contains many important minerals such as 17% of Magnesium intake, 14% of Potassium and 11% of iron, and 7% of Calcium (an average recommended daily intake for an adult)
- Purslane is 93% of the plant is just our good old H2O. The remaining 7% is full of all sorts of important nutrients
Also Read: Jasmine: 5 Astonishing Benefits Of Adding This Incredible Flower To Your Diet
Want to what additional nutritional value and health benefits this wildflower contains?
Foray into this infographic to know the astonishing benefits of Purslane:
Source by www.netmeds.com